40 Before. Or I think my mid-life crisis has started
“a loss of self-confidence and feeling of anxiety or disappointment that can occur in early middle age.”
It's been happening for a while. The slow realisation that age is creeping up on me.
Every time I go for a haircut there are noticeably more grey hairs than the time before; I feel the aches in my back a little more than a used to; My knees make more noises than they did last year.
I could go on, but I'm sure you get the idea.
[Content to flesh out why I feel 'old']
[What has this lead me to]
[Family 'manifesto' has fed into this]
What is the family 'manifesto'?
a public declaration of policy and aims, especially one issued before an election by a political party or candidate.
Simply put it's a list of items that we, as a family, have ”signed up to“ and agreed to try & achieve.
I'm not going to be making this list fully public, but it includes items such as:
- Be debt free, as much as possible, before we hit xx age
- Plan for 40th birthday
- Live abroad
At a guess, I'd say that most folks have some kind of list in their heads -- whether they'd admit to it remains to be seen -- of things they'd like to see/do/experience before the end.
And I'm no different; For instance, those close to me know that it is a massive ambition to live & work in Australia, I'd also love to go travelling (probably not as much of a backpacker now, though) and there is a huge list of countries/places/sights that I wish to see, some of which are listed below.
It's probably obvious, but it's simply a play on the 40 things before you die etc. I consciously kept it vague as I don't want the list to stop at 40, for me, that is where it starts and I'm hoping that it will be something that will continue to evolve and grow over time, after all, there is no reason why it has to stop at 40 things, right?!
My current list
I've not quite got 40, but, as it stands here is my current list:
- Live and work in Australia (This will always be my ultimate goal)
- Be as debt free as possible
- Have a photograph published somewhere
- See both the Northern and Southern lights
- Complete all 214 Wainwrights
- Complete the national 3 peaks in under 24hrs
- Complete the Yorkshire 3 peaks in under 12hrs
- Get a tattoo/s to symbolise things important to me
- Dive the Great Barrier Reef
- Drive the Great Ocean Road
- Dine at a Michelin starred restaurant
- Complete a triathlon
- Sub 2hr half marathon
- Walk the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
- Celebrate NYE in Sydney
- Visit every continent
- Swim with sharks
- Watch IMBD's top 250 films
- 100 books to read before you die?
- Sleep at Everest base camp
- Lands end - John o'Groats
- Go to an Ashram in India
- Cookery school abroad
- Write a personal letter to Sam and Harry for them to open when they're 18.
- Become a mentor
- Help out a not for profit
- Visit Japan (Cherry blossoms, Fushimi Inari-Taisha Shrine, Mount Fuji, Bullet train, Robot Restaurant, Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park, Drink in a Shinjuku Golden Gai Bar in Tokyo etc!)
- Watch an event at the Sydney Opera House
- Walk the Sydney Harbour Bridge at night
- Experience an actual white Christmas
Next up is a small site to show the progress of the tasks, keep a check of things completed and show any that have been added.
Stay tuned, folks!